Sociology A Level at Dartford Grammar School for Girls
The A level Sociology course is intended to give an overview of the core theories in sociology and applies these to education, family beliefs and crime. It is designed to develop students' skills in essay writing, evaluation, analysis and critical thinking.
The exam papers with examples of specification statements are :
Paper 1: Education with Theory and Methods
- eg. “Differential educational achievement of social groups by social class, gender and ethnicity”
- “The theoretical, practical and ethical considerations influencing choice of topic and choice of method(s)”
Paper 2: Topics in Sociology (Family and Beliefs)
- e.g. “Gender roles, domestic labour and power relationships within the family in contemporary society”
- “Religious organisations, including cults, sects, denominations, churches and New Age movements”
Paper 3: Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
- e.g. “The nature of science and the extent to which Sociology can be regarded as scientific.”
- “Globalisation and crime in contemporary society; the media and crime; green crime; human rights and state crimes”
A range of teaching and learning strategies, including discussion and group work. There is an emphasis on developing evaluative and essay skills. Students are expected to consolidate and extend lesson content through independent learning outside of lessons.
Grade 6 in English Language
Three two hour exams, each woth a third of the A level. Questions will be a combination of short answer and essay-style questions.
Sociology, Anthropology other Social Science courses as well as related subjects such as Politics and Education.
Sociology can be useful in almost any career that involves working with people or groups of people, for instance social work, education, the police, the voluntary sector, and local or national government.
For more information see the British Sociological Association
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dartford Grammar School for Girls directly.