Biology - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to develop your scientific skills at an advanced level? This course develops your understanding of biology, through both theoretical and practical learning. It provides a valuable preparation for Higher Education, and for careers in science or health related areas.
The course is suitable if you are a committed student and have achieved good Biology/Science grades at GCSE level. The course will enhance your interest in the subject and its wider applications, allowing you to excel.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications. Biology combines particularly well with Chemistry, but our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs.
This course is delivered as follows:
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include English or Welsh (1st language) and at least a grade C in Mathematics (Higher Tier). A grade BB in Double Award Science (Core and Additional Science) or a grade B in Biology is preferred.
- NOTE: GCSE Applied Science is not acceptable. Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
- All students should be interested in science and its wider applications, and must be willing to read around the subject.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview
This course is assessed through examinations and a Practical Lab book which is completed during the two years of study. For full details, please see the Additional Campus/Course information.
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, you could apply for university courses in biological science, biochemistry, microbiology, biotechnology, ecology, medicine, dentistry, nursing or physiotherapy. You could then progress into a career in the appropriate industry. Your studies on the A Level course will help you to make an informed choice from the options available.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.