Philosophy, Ethics & Theology AS/A2 Level at Nottingham Academy
This course shows universities and employers that you
understand the world, life and people - every job needs this! It
gives meaning, purpose and understanding to life; cultivates
advanced thinking skills when solving moral and ethical
problems and develops an understanding of how religion
affects our society. Furthermore, it provides an understanding
of the mind and spiritual aspects of human kind.
Units covered at AS
Unit 1: Foundations
– Philosophy: Arguments for whether God exists or not.
– Ethics: Theories on how we know what is moral
Unit 2: Investigations
– Medical Ethics: Choose from any topic on medical ethics,
such as euthanasia, abortion, organ transplantation, cloning,
stem cell research or surrogacy, and create a research project
on the subject.
Units covered at A2
Unit 3: Developments
– Philosophy: The Ontological Argument, Religious Experience
and Life After Death.
– Theology: The Kingdom of God, The Purpose of Luke’s
Gospel, Conflict, Death and Resurrection.
Unit 4: Implications
– Twelve texts will be studied on Theology which will be
linked to historical events, the present day and what they
mean for humanity.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including C grade or above in English. A GCSE
in RE is not necessary.
AS: Two examinations in June.
– Unit 1: Foundations - Philosophy and Ethics.
– Unit 2: Investigations - Medical Ethics.
A2: Two examinations in June.
– Unit 3: Developments - Philosophy and Theology.
– Unit 4: Implications - One question based on a passage
from the texts studied from the anthology.
As this course is so broad it shows you are a diverse
individual and can therefore lead to any career. For example,
law, teaching, lecturing, overseas development, medicine,
accountancy, social services, police force, management,
business...and many more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Academy directly.