Physical Education A Level at John Leggott Sixth Form College
You will learn about the opportunities for and benefits of leading an active life cycle as well as performing, analysing and evaluating roles in sport as a player, coach or official.
Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport:
- Section A: Applied anatomy and physiology
- Section B: Skill acquisition
- Section C: Sport and society
Factors affecting optimal performance in physical activity and sport:
- Section A: Exercise physiology and biomechanics
- Section B: Sport psychology
- Section C: Sport and society and technology in sport
Practical performance in physical activity/ sport:
- Students are assessed as a performer or coach in the full sided version of one activity.
- Plus: written/verbal analysis of performance.
C in Science and Maths. Must be actively involved in competition sport which is outside of school/college. GCSE profile must be B/C average or above. There will be a short practical session as part of the enrolment process.
GCSE Average 5.7 or above.
- Paper 1: 2-hour written exam (involves multiple choice, short answer, extended writing) 35% of A Level
- Paper 2: 2-hour written exam (involves multiple choice, short answer, extended writing) 35% of A Level
- Non-exam assessment: Internal assessment, external moderation, 30% of AS Level
You could choose to go directly into employment in the sport, leisure and recreation sector or you could go on to study subjects including leisure studies, recreation management or sports sciences at degree level.
You could choose one of a variety of sportsrelated enrichment activities or play in a college team - choose from sports including football, netball, rugby, basketball and many more. You may also be interested in the Community Sports Leaders Award (CSLA), YMCA Assistant Fitness Instructor Award or School Experience if you hope to go into teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.