Wood Occupations Diploma Level 1 at City College Plymouth
Do you enjoy practical work, using your hands, solving detailed problems, and working outdoors? Then take a look at this study programme! It will teach you the techniques used in all aspects of basic carpentry and is aimed at those who aren’t yet employed in the industry. You will learn about setting up your workspace, the different techniques you can call upon and the specific tools you need. You will get to practice your newfound skills in a simulated working environment and end up with an industry-recognised qualification.
The main subjects covered are:
- carrying out safe working practices
- information, quantities and working with others
- building methods and construction technology
- basic woodworking joints
- maintaining and using hand tools
- preparing and using portable power tools.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
You will need to have successfully completed the Basic Construction Skills Certificate.
You will be continually assessed to the industrial standards set by the lead body, Construction Skills, and sit an external end of course exam.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- a level 2 course in wood occupations at the College, or
- an Apprenticeship in the sector.
You could also enter into employment in the industry as a basic labourer to start gaining site experience.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.