Sport - Intermediate level Apprenticeship in activity leadership level 2: pathway 2 – exercise and fitness at Kirklees College, Huddersfield Centre
The activity leadership Apprenticeship is a great route for those individuals who wish to follow a career in fitness instructing, gym and leisure based careers or activity leadership, with hands on practical learning experiences.
This qualification gives individuals the opportunity to explore and develop skills and understanding in a range of areas specific to the working environment:
· Prepare for activity sessions
· Lead activity sessions
· Conclude and review activity sessions
· Support the work of the team and organisation
· Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
· Support equality and diversity in active leisure and recreation
A maximum of two optional units must also be completed from the list below:
· Contribute to participants’ personal and social development
· Contribute to participants’ exploration and understanding of the natural environment
· Administer finance and information
· Contribute to joint working with other organisations
· Support the development of the sport or activity
· Look after participants when they are away from home
· Enable disabled people to take part in activities
· Contribute to adventurous activities
· Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organisation
You will also study complete further in vocationally relevant qualifications, such as:
· Level 2 YMCA certificate in fitness instructing (gym based)
You will work toward achieving a level 2 qualification in maths and English (unless GCSE at C or above have been achieved previously)
A minimum of 4 GCSEs with the following grades:
English and maths at 3 or above, and 2 other GCSE’s grade D or above
A minimum four GCSEs grade D or above, including English and maths.
Applicants should demonstrate a keen interest in sport and a relevant background in participation in sporting activities.
You will build and develop a diverse e-portfolio of evidence that will be made up using the following assessment method:
- Professional discussions
- Work based observation reports
- Practical tutor observations
- Employer/supervisor witness statements
- Completion of workbooks
- Photographic and video evidence
On completion of this programme, learners can progress onto:
- level 3 vocational study programmes
- Advanced level Apprenticeship in sports development.
On completion of this programme, learners can progress into fitness instructor roles and gym/leisure based roles.
For those looking to work in an educational setting, there is normally a need for appropriate teaching qualifications which can include a degree.
Some apprentices may wish to progress their careers in a leadership role and gain further qualifications to assist them towards becoming assistant teachers or qualified teachers in schools or further education colleges.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.