Accessibility links

English Language A Level at Thurston Community College

Course description

Language, the individual and society

You will study a range of texts created for different genres, audiences and purposes in a range of modes (written, spoken and electronic). You will explore how language is used to represent topics, producers and audiences. You will also learn about children’s language development from 0-11 years of age.

Language diversity and change

You will study how language is used in a variety of ways, focusing on different social groups and occupations, as well as examining the differences between male and female language use and the rich variety of accents and dialects in the British Isles. You will also explore how language is used to represent these groups and varieties, and learn about how language changes over time – from 1600 to the present day

Language in action
This unit features two pieces of coursework:

1. Language investigation
You will develop research skills as you undertake a focussed exploration into a specific linguistic area you have a personal interest in. You might use a hobby or outside interest as a starting point: for example analysing how language is used differently by judges in baking competitions.

2. Original writing Here, you will manipulate linguistic features to craft texts for particular genres, audiences and purposes. It could be an opinionated newspaper column; a persuasive holiday company website; a restaurant review; an entertaining story, or even a political-style speech.

Entry requirements

Entry GCSE: 5 in English Language.

Assessment

You will sit two examinations, which are worth 80% of the A Level in total. The coursework constitutes the remaining 20% of the qualification.

Future opportunities

A subject well regarded for a range of university subjects and careers including journalism, law, business, teaching, marketing, speech therapy and research.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Thurston Community College directly.

Last updated date: 29 March 2017
Provider logo

Key information

Venues