Biology A Level at Ysgol Y Strade
Biology provides a wide breadth of knowledge which touches on many varied aspects of a range of topics. These range from the physiology of organisms and the interdependence of living things in ecology, to social issues including human influence on the environment and the ethical considerations of genetics.
It is intended that the use of a variety of approaches will stimulate interest, promote understanding and engender an overall appreciation and sense of wonder at the living world.
Unit 1: Basic Biochemisty, Cell Organisation
Unit 2: Biodiversity and physiology of body systems
Unit 3: Practical assessment which includes microscopy at low power
Unit 4: Metabolism, Microbiology and Homeostasis
Unit 5: Environment, Genetics and Evolution
Unit 6: Practical assessment which includes microscopy and calibration at high power
Although each student will be considered on an individual basis for entry onto the course it would be beneficial to have GCSE Science and Additional Science and have achieved a grade B or above in the Higher Tier paper.
Unit 1: Written examination 1hr 30min
Unit 2: Written examination 1hr 30min
Unit 3: Set by centre, carried out over 3 month period
Unit 4: Written examination 1hr 45min
Unit 5: Written examination 1hr 45min
Unit 6: Set by centre, carried out over 3 month period
- Develop an understanding of living organismsand the living world.
- Understand genetic engineering and stem cell technology.
- Develop the ability to think independently.
- Appreciate the ecological balance that sustains life on earth.
- Pathway to many careers eg Medicine, Dentistry ,Veterinary Science, Nursing, Forensic Science and a variety of Biological courses such as Biochemistry and Genetics.
Examining Body: WJEC
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Y Strade directly.