AS/A MUSIC TECHNOLOGY at Peter Symonds College
Unit 1 Music Technology Portfolio 1
You will be required to produce a CD with the following tasks:
• Sequenced Realised Performance - creating a MIDI sequence using instruments in Logic of a given piece of Popular Music
• Multitrack recording - recording between 8 and 12 tracks of a 2-4 minute piece of Popular music
• Creative Sequenced Arrangement - using MIDI within Logic to arrange a given piece of Popular music in a set style
Unit 2 Listening and Analysing
You will study the history and development of Popular music styles since 1910 and the Principles and Practice of Music Technology. This will be assessed in a final written paper.
Course Content A2
Unit 3 Music Technology Portfolio 2
This task requires you to produce a CD containing 3 tasks:
• Sequenced Integrated Performance- creating a MIDI sequence of a given piece of popular music and recording live vocals
• Multitrack Recording- recording between 16 and 24 tracks of a 3-5 minute piece of Popular music
• Composing Using Music Technology- composing a piece music to a given brief
Unit 4 Analysing and Producing
This unit is examined in the form of a written/ practical examination. Candidates will be required to use a computer workstation to carry out a production task that will involve the manipulation of audio and adding effects, EQ and compression to produce a final stereo master.
5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Maths, plus all of the following:
• GCSE Music at grade C or above OR grade 5 Music Theory
• Proven performing ability on an instrument or voice (for example, grade 5 in a Rock School or ABRSM exam)
• The ability to read music notation
You will need the ability to read music notation confidently, and we therefore prefer students to have passed grade 5 theory. If you do not have this qualification you will be required to pass a short theory test at enrolment
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Peter Symonds College directly.