Electronics AS & A Level at John Leggott Sixth Form College
You will discover how electronic products work by studying electronics systems and components including transducers, transistors, operational amplifiers, sequential logic, capacitors, robotic systems and radio receivers. You will then be able to use this knowledge to design and make your own devices.
AS course: 1st Year
- Unit 1 - Foundation Electronics: Basic electricity, systems, logic design, passive devices, transducers, transistors, operational amplifiers, Boolean Algebra
- Unit 2 - Further Electronics: Sequential logic, counters, operational amplifier circuits, capacitors, timing systems, power and audio amplifiers.
- Unit 3 - Coursework design project based on Units 1 and 2.
A2 course: 2nd Year
- Unit 4 - Electronic Control Systems: Microprocessors, programming, neural networks, interfacing, Schmitt triggers, additional input and output devices, robotic systems.
- Unit 5 - Electronic Communication Systems: Radio receivers, mobile communications, digital communication, optoelectronics, audio systems.
- Unit 6 - Coursework design project based on units 4 and 5.
GCSE Core and Additional Science at grade C or above, or GCSE Physics or Electronics at grade C or above or a level 2 vocational Science qualification at Merit or above. You should also have GCSE Maths at grade C or above achieved at Higher tier. GCSE average 5.0 or above.
70% exam 30% coursework
Electronics can be a specialist or supporting subject for future employment or further study. Some of the careers our students pursue include engineering, computerbased occupations, communication, electronic manufacturing, the armed forces and scientific research.
You will have the opportunity to visit electronics industry sites and electronic engineering departments at universities as well as take part in an additional learning opportunity based around the assembler language used to program integrated circuits to do specific tasks.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.