Carpentry & Joinery City & Guilds Diploma Level 1 at Brockenhurst College
- To provide a specialist work-related qualification in site carpentry and joinery.
- To prepare you for employment and/or to provide career development opportunities for those already in work
The course is made up of units covering:
- Safe Working Practices
- Quantities and Communication
- Building Methods and Construction Technology
- First fix operations
- Second fix operations
- Erecting structural complex carcassing
- Maintain non structural and structural components
- Setting up and operating fixed and transportable machinery.
The content of the course is very diverse and challenging to prepare you for work in the industry. A highly skilled operative is always in demand and the benefit of skills and knowledge will help you become more employable or quite simply able to do tasks you never thought you would have the opportunity of accomplishing.
You also need:
- Level 2 in Carpentry and Joinery.
- Literacy and Numeracy at the appropriate level
Work experience is a compulsory element to this course. This can be done either through your own contacts or via the College, all require health & safety checks prior to starting and agreed length of time.
You will also be required to demonstrate that you are actively seeking employment within your chosen sector and we will be encouraging and supporting you all the way.
Assessment will be carried out as you progress through the course. This will be in the form of externally set exams and practical assessments.
Compulsory £115 for corporate clothing, safety shoes, text book, classroom equipment.
All exam re-sits are £20 each.
Apprenticeship routes. Please contact either the course tutor or ask to speak to the College apprenticeship coordinator for further assistance.
With further training or study, students may progress into careers in the Construction industry including:
- Site Carpentry first and second fix work
- Construction & Built Environment National Certificate
- HNC in Construction
This certificate in Carpentry & Joinery prepares you for employment and provides a good grounding to go on to a more advanced course, such as:
- Apprenticeship in Carpentry & Joinery- NVQ level 3
- Construction site supervisor level 3
All courses incorporate Functional Skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.