Public Services (Uniformed) BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Nelson and Colne College
During this course you will gain skills which are essential to the majority of the UK’s Public Services. You will be expected to take part in a weekly run to help promote and maintain minimum levels of fitness. Our Pendle location places us centrally for many outdoor activity centres and ideal hiking and climbing locations, for orienteering and map work. You will have access to outstanding facilities including a 6 court sports hall with a heated, sprung floor, state-of-the-art gymnasium with specialist equipment and a brand new high-tech sports pitch and multi-use games area.
In a typical week you will be involved in outdoor activities such as map reading, hill walking and different sports and fitness activities. You will also investigate the different Public Services, take part in visits to the different services and gain theoretical knowledge to complement your skills.
- Government policies and the public services
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Citizenship diversity and the public services
- Outdoor adventurous expeditions
- Skills for land based outdoor adventure activities
- Land navigation by map and compass
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the public services
- Planning to major incidents
- Understanding discipline in the uniformed public services
- Fitness testing and training for the uniformed public services
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Crime and its effects on society
- Understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism on public services
- Aspects of the legal system and law making process
- Command and control in the uniformed public services
- International institutions
- Responding to major incident
- Communication and technology
5 GCSEs at grade C or above (in a minimum of three different subject areas) including Maths and English or a Level 2 Diploma and Level 2 Maths and English.
The units will be assessed using a variety of different methods including written assignments, PowerPoint presentations, group work, practical activities and competency based assessments.
Options after completing the course are varied. Some students go on to universities such as Manchester Metropolitan University, the University of Central Lancashire, the University of Sheffield, Liverpool John Moores University and the University of West Scotland, studying a variety of degree programmes including Law and Criminology, Policing, Outdoor Education and Coaching and Fire and Rescue.
Many students go on to secure jobs in the Public Services, including the Fire Service, the Police, the Army, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson and Colne College directly.