Animal Care Apprenticeship Level 2 and 3 at Bridgwater College
These are flexible qualifications that cover the skills you need to work in animal welfare, zoos, wildlife establishments, dog grooming, pet care and retail, animal training, animal wardens or education and entertainment.
This qualification is for anyone working in animal care. The course is suited to the practical learner who has a passion for animal welfare and wants to train whilst working in the industry.
The Level 2 is ideal if you have some knowledge and you want to prove your competence in your role, it is likely to help you move from a junior to senior position. You may also be looking for a qualification to prepare you for progression to a Level 3 qualification.
There are two pathways in this course:
- Animal Care and Welfare
- Dog Grooming
To be successful, you must complete a range of mandatory and optional units. The exact selection of optional units you can choose from depends on your pathway. Examples of units may include:
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of basic animal training programmes
- Control and restrain animals
- Maintain the cleanliness and bio security of the animal care working environment
- Provide opportunities for animals to have freedom to exercise
- Prepare and groom animals
- Prepare feed for animals
You will need to have full time employment within an animal Care Sector such as in a rescue centre, dog groomers, animal care worker, pet shop or even a veterinary practice.
- 5 GCSEs ranging from C to E
- Successful completion of a lower level qualification
- Industry experience
- Mature students welcome to apply
- Written coursework
- Online portfolio (The employer can have access to support the learner)
- Expert witness statements provided by employers
- Question and answer
- Practical assessment will take place in the work place
Having successfully completed this course you can progress to the Level 3 Diploma once you have gained a supervisory role. You may choose to continue to work within your current employment and use the knowledge you have gained or change your employer to move into a supervisory position.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.