Dance BTEC Level 3 at Gateshead College
Gateshead College in partnership with the renowned Dance City come together to offer aspiring young dancers this exciting, challenging and innovative course in dance.
This vocational programme offers a unique opportunity to explore and develop skills across a multitude of disciplines including Classical Ballet, Contemporary, Urban, Jazz , Physical Theatre & Choreography.
With an emphasis on practical activity with high level, comprehensive pure dance training delivered by professionals from Dance City the course aims to develop your technique, artistic understanding and overall fitness levels to prepare you fully for a career within the industry.
Your study will be divided between Gateshead Colleges Baltic Campus and the fantastic purpose built facilities at Dance City in Newcastle city centre. As a result you have will access to the very best dance studios, performances, spaces and teaching in the region.
- Year 1 main vocational qualification: BTEC Level 3 90-Credit Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance)
- Year 2 main vocational qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance)
All students must participate in a practical audition. Preliminary auditions are held at the Baltic Campus in February and April with successful applicants progressing to a final audition at Dance City in May. Late applicants may be accepted although this will be subject to audition and availability. In audition students must be able to demonstrate the following:
- A basic grounding in one or more dance style
- Excellent basic coordination
- Excellent musicality and sense of rhythm
- Good ability to pick up movement and to push themselves physically
- Good physical potential – loose joints, turn out,
- A desire to dance/teach/choreograph as a career
It is desirable for students to be able to demonstrate the following:
- A basic grounding in classical technique
- Good natural dance qualities
- Creativity and a basic ability to create dance movement
- A good fitness level
- The ability to work effectively as part of a group, respond creatively and enthusiastically to set tasks and be self motivating is a must!
- This course is Level 3 - you will need to have the equivalent of at least four GCSEs at grade C or above - preferably including English and maths.
- For vocational programmes, it would help to have a relevant qualification at Level 2 or appropriate experience.
You will be assessed on a continual basis using workshop based assignments designed to develop and build your practical skills in both rehearsal and performance.
Your understanding will also be tested too, using a range of methods including written and/or oral questioning and presentations.
This specialist qualification will enable you to progress to further vocational training or dance and performing arts degrees.
Recent graduates are currently studying at Rambert, Trinity Laban Conservatoire, The Place, London Studios, Bodyworks, UEL, Bucks University and Northern School of Contemporary dance.
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
If you can’t find the right apprenticeship vacancy or you want to do some studying first - no problem. You can start on a vocational study programme then once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available, we’ll help you transfer on to an apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Gateshead College directly.