Religious Studies Edexcel A Level at St Bernard's High School
The course covers three areas:
Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion
- Philosophical issues.
- Nature and influence of religious experience.
- Problems of evil and suffering.
- Philosophical language.
- Works of scholars.
- Influences of development.
Paper 2: Religion and Ethics
- Significant concepts in issues and debates.
- Study of three ethical theories.
- Application of ethical theories.
- Ethical language.
- Deontology, Virtue Ethics and the works of scholars.
- Medical ethics
Paper 3: New Testament Studies
- Contexts of the New Testament.
- Texts and interpretation of the Person of Jesus.
- Interpreting the text and the purpose and authorship.
- Ways of interpreting the scripture.
- Texts and interpretation.
- Scientific and historical-critical challenge
- Grade B in GCSE Religious Education and Point 6 in English Language.
An externally-assessed written examination comprising three sections.
Students answer all questions in Section A and Section B, and one question in Section C.
- Section A: Two structured questions.
- Section B: Two extended-response questions on an excerpt, sourced from the extracts list. These are published in the relevant pages of the A Level Religious Studies Anthology which can be downloaded from the Pearson qualifications website.
- Section C: One extended essay question. All exams are two hours.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Bernard's High School directly.