General Studies A-Level at The McAuley Catholic High School
Encourages discussion and reading and broadens your general knowledge in terms of:
- Significant contemporary issues
- Examining these issues from a number of different perspectives
- Understanding that there are certain important concepts which should inform thinking about the issues
- Looking at the concept of knowledge and the evidence on which it is based
- We should know what we mean when we speak of facts and opinions, values and beliefs
- Through the above points the students will develop a greater understanding of the world around them.
Many students are encouraged to sit the AS examination in Y12. Most students who achieve a pass grade are entered for the A2 course in the Year 13 sitting. Those students who achieve a pass grade in one unit but fail overall will re-sit the failed unit but not go forward to A2.
Many universities accept General Studies.
The aims of the courses are to encourage students to:
- View ideas, concepts, skills and situations from a wider standpoint than that of a single discipline
- Uses the depth and range of the knowledge and skills acquired in a variety of disciplines
- Work independently and to obtain and comprehend information from a wide variety of sources
- Develops individual powers of thought and expressions
- Extends studies by discussion and reading [including the reading of newspapers].
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The McAuley Catholic High School directly.