Sport Level 1 BTEC Extended Certificate at Seevic College
This course is ideal if you are interested in
the sport and leisure industry.
To be successful on this course you must have a desire to be fit and healthy and have good self-discipline. You will study different aspects of the Sport and Leisure industry including:
- Taking part in exercise and fitness;
- Improving your own fitness;
- Job opportunities in sport and active leisure.
You will also continue to develop your English and Maths skills.
- Human Anatomy: An overview of the human body and its makeup, covering Bones, Joints and Muscles. You will apply them to sporting examples and movements during practical sessions.
- Practical Sport: Participate in a practical sport, learning the skills and techniques applied within that sport. You will assess their strengths and weaknesses within the sport and make suggestions on how they will be able to improve. You will complete this unit for two sports spread throughout the year.
- Fitness Testing: Understanding how we can assess fitness in athletes through a variety of methods
- Nutrition: Learn about the elements of what make up a healthy diet and how it can be applied to athletes through the understanding of Carbohydrates, Fats and Proteins. Students will compare their own diet over a week to that of an athlete, and make suggestions on how they need to improve this. to work with a partner to improve their physical fitness.
- Improving Fitness: Develop your own fitness levels and a programme to support improvements of someone else's fitness.
- Self reflection
- Career planning
Alongside these you are able to choose from any of our pathways, mixing them up if you wish. The course also includes work experience, PSHE tutorials and one-to-one tutorials.
Grade E/2 or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
- This course is very practical in its nature and will involve you performing activities as part of your assessment, such as learning how to perform a gym induction.
- You will also complete Presentations and coursework. During your English lessons you will practice developing your communication skills including interview skills. You will learn maths in a fun and practical way which will help you improve your everyday maths skills.
- You will set yourself targets for your own personal and social development practiced through a variety of activities including trips to activity centre, driving a car, mock interviews and work experience activities plus a residential weekend.
- You will need to have kit including tracksuit and trainers, Seevic kit available to purchase
- You will need to be organised and have a USB stick and general stationery so you are ready to learn
- Trips will incur additional costs
- There will be an opportunity to attend a residential placement to develop your confidence and independence skills which will incur additional costs.
You could progress on to a Level 2 Diploma in Sport or may like to transfer to the Health & Social Care pathway at a higher level. Alternatively, you could begin an Apprenticeship, Traineeship or Supported Internship programme dependent on your individual needs.Former Student Success
Former student Cameron started out on a Level 1 Sport pathway and progressed to our Passport to Progression work based programme. He now works additional days receiving a weekly wage.
Former Level 1 Sport student Russell progressed right through to Level 2 and Level 3. He then went on to university after gaining his English and Maths qualifications alongside his Level 1 study programme.
- Trips will include visits to other sporting providers and exhibitions.
- You will use the college gym and facilities.
- You will have the opportunity to work with other young people organising sporting tasters and events and try many different physical activities ranging from golf, swimming, boxing, football and the gym
- Opportunity to attend a residential placement to develop your independence skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Seevic College directly.