AS/A2 Business Studies at The Bluecoat Academy
What will be studied ?
During the AS course you will study:
• What is Business ?
• Managers, leadership and decision making
• Decision making to improve marketing performance
• Decision making to improve operational performance
• Decision making to improve financial performance
• Decision making to improve human resource performance
During the A Level course you will study the content from the AS course and the following:
• Analyse the strategic position of a BusinessChoosing strategic direction
• Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
• Managing strategic change In addition you will have the opportunity to gain key skills in information technology, numeracy and communication.
How will I be assessed ?
If you are studying the AS level in Business you will sit 2 papers at the end of your first year:
• Paper 1 – 90 minute exam – 50% of the AS level
• Paper 2 – 90 minute exam – 50% of the AS level
If you are studying the full A level in Business you will sit 3 papers at the end of the 2 years:
• Paper 1 – 2 hour exam – 33.3% of the A level
• Paper 2 – 2 hour exam – 33.3% of the A level
• Paper 3 – 2 hour exam – 33.3% of the A level Who should do this course ?
This course will appeal to students who:
• Enjoy studying a subject relevant to their own lives
• Want the opportunity to apply business theory to real life organisations
• Are interested in developing an understanding of businesses and how they operate.
How is the course delivered ?
The course is taught using a variety of methods including class discussion, independent library research, practical research projects, video presentations and taught sessions.
What equipment will I need ?
You need to be properly equipped with basic stationery such as lined / blank paper, pens, pencils and a folder to safely store notes and coursework.
What next ?
This course is for students who are interested in following a career in one of the many sectors of business, or who are following a pathway to further study.
It is particularly suitable for those considering a career in:
• Recruitment and human resources
• Operations Management
• Teaching Further information If you need any further information
Students wishing to take AS or A level Business Studies should have five GCSE A* – C grades including English and Maths. It is not necessary to have studied this subject at GCSE level.
A ‘B’ grade in Maths is desirable.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Bluecoat Academy directly.