Animal Management BTEC Extended Diploma at Solihull College & University Centre
This course is ideal for you if you are interested in Animal Management or if you would like a career in the animal care industry. On completion, this course provides UCAS points and possible entry into Higher Education. This course could lead to work with the RSPCA, working with Guide Dogs for the blind, Pet Shop management and trainee Veterinary Nursing.
Throughout your studies, you will cover the a number of modules such as:
- Understand the Principles of Animal Biology,
- Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology,
- Understand and Carry out Farm Livestock Husbandry,
- Undertake an Investigative Project In the Land -based Sector
- Understand the Principles of Animal Nutrition
- Undertake Pet Store Design and Animal Management
You will also have the option of taking either Applied Science Route and studying:
- Carry out the Practice of Biochemistry and Microbiology
OR the Applied Husbandry route and studying
- Undertake Animal Training
- Understand the Principles of Zoological Animal Health and Husbandry
- A Level 3 90 Credit Diploma in Animal Management - with evidence of a good standard of work, attendance and behaviour throughout the course.
- You maintained and completed the necessary hours in a suitable work placement.
In addition to the above you also require:
- A suitable character or tutor reference
- A successful College interview
Assessment is continual over the two years mainly by the completion of assignments, but there are a range of assessment methods including tests, presentations and group work and students are also assessed practically on the Animal Care Centre and in the work place.
You will be given the opportunity to gain a Pass, Merit or Distinction in each subject
When you successfully achieve this qualification you can go onto a variety of HE courses including FdSc in Animal Behaviour and Welfare at Solihull College and other university courses such as Zoology, Animal Biology and Animal Behaviour, and careers in the animal care industries for example the RSPCA, pet shops, kennels and catteries, trainee veterinary nurse, ranger or wildlife conservation work.
Some students go on to set up their own businesses within the industry
You will need to purchase a pair of steel toe cap boots, a College boiler suit and a work placement polo shirt. There may also be various trips throughout the year. The price of these will become available upon application.
A good standard of English and Maths are essential for success in your course, your chosen vocation and life. Throughout your course you will continue to develop your English and Maths skills in your vocational classes.
In order to study the Extended Diploma it is essential that students have a Grade A-C in Maths and English.
If you have a Learning Difficulty or Disability please let us know when you apply. You will be offered support in your interview. If you need help completing your application we can help with this too.
Solihull College is an inclusive and diverse learning environment offering full-time and part-time courses to people from anywhere in the UK and overseas.
FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY: Tuition fees are £5,250 per annum
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Solihull College & University Centre directly.