A Level: Chemistry at JC6: Hinckley Academy and John Cleveland Sixth Form Centre
Chemistry is a challenging subject that requires, and develops, a variety of skills. Some topics build directly on GCSE Chemistry work, others will be completely new to students. The course is divided up into three traditional areas of chemistry: Physical Chemistry - kinetics and thermodynamics; Inorganic Chemistry - the elements and how they react; and Organic Chemistry - carbon and the molecules made from carbon. It also covers contemporary issues involved in environmental, 'green' chemistry. You'll develop analytical techniques, discover what and how much is in a chemical, and try out industrial processes.
Consider Chemistry if:
- You enjoy practical work, as well as understanding the theory that underpins it.
- You're interested in finding out how and why reactions happen.
- You are prepared to persevere to find precise, detailed solutions to problems.
JC6 general entry requirements, including:
- Higher tier GCSE Science. Minimum of 6/6 in core and additional or two 6s in separate sciences, including 6 in Chemistry.
- Grade 6 or above in Mathematics
By end of year examinations and ongoing practical assessments.
Chemistry A level works well with maths and other science subjects which require simiilar logical thinking skills and problem solving approaches.
Chemistry is an essential qualification for anyone wanting to study Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary science. It is a respected 'facilitating' subject, which opens doors to a wide range of courses and future careers.
Contact Dr Newbold, Head of Chemistry: firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about this course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact JC6: Hinckley Academy and John Cleveland Sixth Form Centre directly.