Environmental Studies AS AQA at Sandown Bay Academy
This subject should form part of every 16-18 year old’s programme of study. This is because Environmental issues have a major impact on all our lives. This subject is designed to enable students to gain a deep and well informed insight into the environment and the scientific processes that affect it. Key aspects within the specification include areas such as; • Wildlife Conservation • Pollution • Global climate change • Environmental resources such as water, energy and food • Sustainability AS Units: Unit 1 - The Living Environment •Conservation; locally, nationally and internationally with particular reference to coral reefs, Antarctica and tropical rainforests Written paper 1 hr 60 marks. 40% of total AS and 20% total A Level marks Unit 2 - The Physical Environment •The Atmosphere •Human exploitation and management of physical resources Written paper 1hr 30 minutes. 90 marks. 60% of total AS marks and 30% of the total A Level marks There is no subject that would not be enhanced by Environmental Studies, but it links particularly well with Biology and/or Geography. There is NO coursework on this subject. EXTRA FEATURES: This is a practical subject and as well as lab-based experiments there is also the possibility of field work in Sweden in A2. Half price subscription to the journal Biological Sciences. Environmental Studies students may have the opportunity to join with Biology and Geology students on their field trips
CC at least in Science or C in Geography. A C in Maths is also recommended.
POSSIBLE PROGRESSION: university degree courses in biology and environmental , medicine, dentistry, nursing and health-related careers, laboratory work. SUGGESTED SUBJECT COMBINATIONS: Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Geography, Environmental Sciences, Geology PE and Health & Social Care. It also complements non-science subjects and can contribute to a broad and balanced A level curriculum. You could take this course to complement other advanced level courses such as Science and Geography or to prepare for the A2 part of an Advanced GCE in Environmental Science, which could lead onto higher education in areas related to science, the environment or more general higher education courses. With further training, you could go into a job related to environmental science such as a Conservationist or Scientist. The course also offers a good foundation for working in business, industry or town planning environments. You could also go straight into a job as the AS GCE is a recognised qualification that will help you develop the basic skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers in lots of industries are looking for.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sandown Bay Academy directly.