Physical Education AS & A Level at Christ The King Catholic High School and Sixth Form Centre
A Level physical education is a challenging course in both its pratical and academic content. For the conscientious and committed student this is a thoroughly enjoyable area of study.
Studying A Level physical education will give you a fantastic insight into the amazing world of sports performance. Not only will you have the chance to perform or coach a sport through the non-exam assessment component, you will also develop a wide ranging knowledge into the how and why of physical activity and sport.
There are a number of core themes which all AS and A Level specifications must include. These are:
- Applied Anatomy and Exercise Physiology
- Sport Psychology and Skill Acquisition
- Sport and Society
- Sports Technology
All students will also have to study one sport as either a performer or a coach and complete an evaluation and analysis of performance and improvement.
Route 1 - Grade B in PE
Route 2 - Grade B in PE
Route 3 - Not available
Non-Exam Assessment (NEA). One practical performance, as either a coach or performer in an activity.
- NEA. One Performance Analysis task
- A total of four hours assessment split over 3 examination papers (2 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hour) taken at the end of the two year course
- A wide range of question types including: single mark, short answer and extended answer response questions.
- The opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of both theory and performance skills in both your NEA and through the examinations.
A Level Physical Education is an excellent base for a university degree in sports sceince, sports management, healthcare, or exercise and health. Physical Education can also compliment further study in biology, human biology, physics, psychology, nutrition, sociology and many more.
A Level Physical Education can open up a range of career opportunities including: sports development, sports coaching, physiotherapy, personal training or become one of the next generation of PE teachers. The transferable skills you learn through your study of Physical Education, such as decision making and independent thinking are also useful in any career path you choose to take.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Christ The King Catholic High School and Sixth Form Centre directly.