GCE Geography at Queen Elizabeth's Academy
The Geography A Level is an exciting course focusing on the challenges facing the human race, both now and in the future and how to manage them effectively and sustainably to ensure a secure future for the planet. It will provide you with a range of essential skills to help you succeed in education and in the workplace, whatever you choose for your future.
AS Units - Year 12:
Unit 1 - Global Challenges
- The World at Risk - including global warming, climate change and future hazards
- Going Global - including: globalisation, migration, world cities and global challenges for the future
Unit 2 - Geographical Investigations
- Crowded coasts- including competition, coping and coastal management
- Rebranding places - including rebranding strategies for urban and rural areas
The course includes 5 days of practical fieldwork at various locations to support Unit 2 - Geographical Investigations.
A2 Units - Year 13:
Unit 3 - Contested Planet
- Energy security - including supply, demand, the impacts of energy security and the future
- Water conflicts - including the geography of water supply, conflicts and the future
- Biodiversity under threat - including valuing biodiversity and managing recognised threats
- Super power geographies - including super power roles, geopolitics, and futures
- Bridging the development gap - including the causes and consequences and reducing the gap
- The technological fix - including the geography of technology and technology and the environment in future.
Unit 4 - Geographical Research
- Six options to choose from including tectonics, glaciation and cultural diversity
Assessment styles are a balance of examination, coursework and synoptic
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Queen Elizabeth's Academy directly.