Spanish A Level at Dereham Neatherd High School
Spanish enables you to communicate on a wide variety of topics of current and cultural interest. By the end of AS, you will be approaching fluency in the language!
Language skills are much in demand by employers and universities alike. Studying a language will combine well with all other subjects at university. The Russell Group of universities emphasises that a language A Level is a “facilitating subject” which will be well-regarded for almost any university course.
Students at Dereham Sixth Form College choose Spanish because they have a love of the language and an interest in the country. We like to offer the opportunity to spend a week on an exchange with our partner school in Zaragoza. Spanish is a popular subject and pupils have achieved excellent results over the past few years.
In the first year you will study topics related to modern society and culture and will develop your grammatical understanding.
- Media (TV, Advertising, Communications Technology)
- Popular Culture (Cinema, Music, Fashion & Trends)
- Lifestyle (Sport, Health, Holidays)
- Family & Relationships (Relationships within the Family, Marriage & Partnerships. Friendships)
A2 In the second year you will examine topics related to modern society and the Spanish-speaking world.
- Contemporary Social Issues
- Study of the films of Pedro Almodóvar
- Study of the period of history in which Spain made the transition from dictatorship to democracy
Minimum BBCCC including B in Spanish GCSE
You will sit two exams: a 2 hour paper covering listening, reading, grammar and writing; and a 15 minute oral exam.
Assessment follows the same format as AS level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dereham Neatherd High School directly.