Spanish Edexcel A Level at Elthorne Park High School
The course concentrates on your ability to both read and listen to texts in Spanish, drawn from a wide range of sources; topical, technical, business, literary, social and historical, and respond appropriately to them. You will engage readily in conversation, discussion, debate, and present arguments in Spanish. You will further your knowledge of the countries, customs and cultures of the people whose language you are learning.
It is of great importance in the modern, global world to be able to speak more than one language. Learning a foreign language is learning about different cultures and learning how to communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds. It will give you a competitive edge in the global empoyment market.
- Youth culture and concerns
- Lifestyle: health and fitness
- The world around us
- Education and employment
- Customs, traditions, beliefs and religions
- Literature and the arts
- National and international events: past, present and future
5 A*-C GCSE grades (including English and Maths) and a minimum of a B grade in the GCSE related to your chosen subjects
Spoken expression and response:
- Respond to four set questions on a stimulus material. Engage in a discussion that moves away from the main focus of the stimulus.
- 8-10 min
- 15% of A Level
Understanding and written response:
- Listen and respond to a range of authentic recorded material.
- Read and respond to authentic printed materials.
- Write 200-220 words based on a short stimulus.
- 2 hour, 30 minutes
- 35% of A Level
Understanding and spoken response:
- Argue a definite perspective and defend and justify your opinions.
- 11-13 min
- 17.5% of A Level
Research, understanding and written response:
- Complete a short written translation exercise.
- Write an essay.
- Produce a research-based essay (240-270 words) on an area of cultural or social interest.
- 2 hour, 20 min
- 32.5% of A Level
These include: translating, interpreting in international organisations and language teaching. There is also a wealth of opportunities which the subject opens up in: IT, law, finance, politics, journalism, international development, business, trading etc.
Candidates with languages plus other qualifications are much more sought-after in the global market of today.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Elthorne Park High School directly.