Health and Social Care Level 3 Diploma at West Lancashire College
This is a two year course to give students a recognised qualification in health and social care providing the knowledge, skills
and understanding required for Higher Education, or employment.
The Level 3 Diploma in Health, Social Care & Early Years is ideal for anyone who wishes to enter a health or social care related profession or progress to higher education in a health or social care related field e.g. nursing, social work, midwifery or paramedic.
Successful students tend to:
- enjoy working closely with people
- be able to relate to people
- understand the needs of others
- be caring and patient and able to stay calm under pressure.
Students will study units such as:
- Developing Effective Communication in Health & Social Care
- Equality, Diversity & Rights in Health & Social Care
- Health, Safety & Security in Health & Social Care
- Development through the Life Stages
- Anatomy & Physiology for Health & Social Care
- Sociology Perspectives for Health & Social Care
- Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care
- Psychological Perspectives for Health & Social Care
Functional skills in English and maths will also be studied as an integral part of the course.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience ( a minimum of 48 hours per year) appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths and English will be part of your programme of study and you will study qualifications in Maths and English, appropriate to your level of ability, alongside your chosen course.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, (preferably including English and/or maths); or a First Diploma at a merit or distinction in a related subject or other appropriate Level 2 qualification. Candidates will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the course and we will be looking for an appropriate standard of English and maths. We are interested in your enthusiasm and commitment to succeed.
You are required to obtain a satisfactory DBS check and two references (one of which needs to be from your school or previous setting).
All units will be assessed by internally set assignments. Candidates must achieve a minimum of a pass grade in all of the units.
If you successfully complete a Level 3 course you are eligible to apply for a Foundation Degree for example Children and Young Person (FdA) or Social Care (FdA) at West Lancashire College subject to satisfactory interview, references, Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Clearance and an application through UCAS.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Lancashire College directly.