Fine Art and Design at John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre
What’s it all about?
The AS level Art course at JKHS offers you a rich opportunity for visual study. The course will begin by giving you time to practise and develop your visual skills so that you can fulfil your true potential.
What topics are covered for AS?
The AS course is divided up into two main units:-
* Unit 1 COURSEWORK, worth 30% of an A level, 60% of an AS level.
* Unit 2 EXAM and PREP. worth 20% of an A level, 40% of an AS level. What topics are covered for A2? The A2 course follows on in the upper sixth with another two units:-
* Unit 3 Coursework worth 30% of an A level
* Unit 4 Coursework worth 20% of an A level
* You will be encouraged to form ideas from a number of starting points
* You will be taught how to research properly and this will feed your ideas.
Media and Formal Elements
* You will be encouraged to experiment with a wide range of media and methods to help you develop your skills.
* You will need to show skilful use of the formal elements e.g. Line, Tone, Texture, Colour etc. in carrying out your work.
* We will encourage you to develop your own visual language - to be able to communicate your ideas. Analysis of Work
* You will be taught skills that will allow you to analyse your own and other artists’ work.
* You will be taught how to relate the work of other artists to your own.
* We will ensure you learn how to review your work by analysing it along the way.
More than anything you need the desire to work and the desire to produce something new. At least grade C at GCSE English Language would be an asset. You do not need to have done GCSE Art.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Kyrle High School & Sixth Form Centre directly.