Rail Academy Technical Development Program – Level 3 (Full-Time) at Newcastle College
This course is designed for students who would like to develop their skills for a career in railway engineering.
The course is also available to those who completed the Level 2 certificate in rail underpinning knowledge and want to develop skills further.
- Introduction to Railway Environment
- Railway Safety skills / General H+S skills
- Railway Tools + Plant skills / General Engineering Tool Skills
- Railway Maintenance activities – various sectors
- Railway Communication Procedures
- Railway Engineering Principles
- Overhead Line construction / maintenance / inspection
- Signalling + Telecomms installation / maintenance / testing
- Planning maintenance activities / inspection of railway assets
- ERTMS principles
- PLC’s (programmable logic controllers)
- Working at height / harness training
- Electrical and mechanical principles within the railway industry.
- 5 GCSE’s at A*- C – Maths and English must be included or mature entry
- Successful completion of Diagnostic/Aptitude tests
- Successful completion of Interview
- Written report writing
- practical observations
- simulated rail scenarios
- verbal questions
- multiple choice online examination.
Successful students may progress onto an approved apprenticeship programme, subject to satisfactory reference from Level 3 tutor.
Students can also progress into employment from a number of industry partners including a guaranteed interview with ISSL including five guaranteed overhead line jobs.
Learners may also progress onto Higher Education and specialise in a particular sector within the rail industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.