Further Maths A Level 3 at Borden Grammar School
COURSE - The course aims and objectives of this qualification are to enable students to:
- understand mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence, fosters enjoyment and provides strong foundation to progress to further study
- extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques
- understand coherence and progression in mathematics and how different areas of mathematics are be connected
- apply mathematics in other fields of study and be aware of the relevance of mathematics to the world of work and to situations in society in general
- use their mathematical knowledge to make logical and reasoned decisions in solving problems both within pure mathematics and a variety of contexts, and communicate the mathematical rationale for these decisions clearly
- reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning
- generalise mathematically
- construct mathematical proofs
- use their mathematical skills and techniques to solve challenging problems which require them to decide on the solution strategy
- recognise when mathematics can be used to analyse and solve a problem in context
- represent situations mathematically and understand the relationship between problems in context and mathematical models that may be applied to solve them
- draw diagrams and sketch graphs to help explore mathematical situations and interpret solutions
- make deductions and inferences and draw conclusions by using mathematical reasoning
- interpret solutions and communicate their interpretation effectively in the context of the problem
- read and comprehend mathematical arguments, including justifications of methods and formulae, and communicate their understanding
- read and comprehend articles concerning applications of mathematics and communicate their understanding
- use technology such as calculators and computers effectively to recognise when such use may be inappropriate
- take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
ADMISSIONS - Students will have studied GCSE Mathematics at Higher Level and achieved a grade
8 or 9 and will be studying Mathematics A Level concurrently.
ASSESSMENT - Students are assessed by examinations, the details of which are still to be confirmed.
CAREER - Engineering of various types; architecture; education; finance; insurance; accountancy;
actuary; armed services . . . the list is endless.
CALCULATORS - Students may use a graphics calculator in all A Level Mathematics examinations.
Students are responsible for making sure that their calculators meet specific guidelines and must
include the following features:
- an iterative function
- the ability to compute summary statistics and access probabilities from standard statistical distributions
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Borden Grammar School directly.