Painting and Decorating Level 1 Diploma at Truro and Penwith College
During the course you will develop and practice the skills required for employment and career progression in painting and Decorating through the study of units such as: principles of building construction information and communication, erecting and dismantling access and working platforms, preparing surfaces for decoration, applying paint systems by brush and roller, and health, safety and welfare in construction, amongst other units associated to this trade area of study.
On this full time 1 year program of study you will learn the application in theory and practical of different types of paints, paint systems, wall papers and tools and equipment associated with the trade.
Truro and Penwith College have extremely realistic simulated work environments where you will learn and develop your practical skills as well as the most up to date professional tools and equipment to make your study here as close to a real working environment as possible.
During the course you will learn and develop your skills in the application of paint, papers and specialist paint techniques as well as the use of associated equipment such as working platforms. If you are not exempt, there is a requirement to complete Functional Skills or GCSE qualifications alongside mainstream studies.
The qualification comprises of various units which are assessed through a combination of theoretical and practical assessments which are set out below:
Unit 116: Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
- Know the preparation required for using access equipment and working platforms
- Be able to prepare to use access equipment and working platforms
- know how to check access equipment and working platforms
- know how to erect access equipment and working platforms
- Be able to erect access equipment and working platforms
- Be able to dismantle and store access equipment and working platforms.
Unit 117: Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Know how to carry out preparation of bare and previously painted and decorated surfaces
- Be able to carry out preparation of bare and previously painted and decorated surfaces.
- know how to correct defects in surfaces and surface coatings
- Be able to correct defects in surfaces and surface coatings
- know how to repair and make good surfaces
- Be able to repair and make good surfaces
Unit 118: Applying paint systems by brush and roller to non- complex areas
- Know how to prepare domestic work areas and protect surrounding areas
- Be able to prepare and protect domestic work and surrounding areas
- Know how to prepare and apply water borne and solvent borne coatings by brush and roller in line with manufacturer's instructions to
- Be able to prepare and apply water-borne and solvent borne coatings by brush and roller to non-complex areas
- Know how to clean, maintain and store brushes, rollers and equipment for solvent and water-borne coatings
- Be able to clean, maintain and store brushes and rollers
- know how to store paint materials
Unit 119: Applying foundation and plain papers
- know how to select, use and maintain tools and equipment
- Be able to maintain and store tools and equipment
- know how to select and prepare adhesives
- Be able to select and prepare adhesives
- know how to apply lining paper and wood ingrain to walls
- Be able to apply lining paper and wood ingrain to walls
- know how to store materials in line with manufacturer’s instructions
- Be able to store materials
Unit 120: Producing specialist decorative finishes
- Know how to produce quality finish ground coats for painted decorative work
- Be able to produce quality finish ground coats for painted decorative work
- Know how to produce broken colour effect using acrylic and oil-based scumbles
- Be able to produce broken colour effect using acrylic and oil-based scumbles
- Know how to apply single colour stencils
- Be able to apply single colour stencils
- There are also two theory based units. The first is Unit 101 Principles of Building Construction, Information and Communication, which is designed to give you a background knowledge within the construction industry as a whole. The other is Unit 201 Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction, these units are assessed through City and Guilds online end of unit multiple choice tests.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
The Level 1 Diploma in Painting and Decorating will be assessed through set practical units alongside internally set multiple choice end of unit question papers and externally set online exams.
Progression routes on completion of this course include advancement onto the Level 2 Diploma in Painting and Decorating or progression onto a Level 2 NVQ Apprenticeship in Painting and Decorating and/or employment within the construction industry.
Working within the Student Services area, the Student Support team will see you on a one to one basis and offer advice and guidance on financial, personal and emotional issues. A professional team of staff work together with your personal tutor to support you so that you can successfully complete your course and recognise pathways to progression after leaving college.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.