Drama and Theatre Studies AS/A2 Level at BSix Brooke House Sixth Form College
WHY STUDY DRAMA?
- Because you enjoy theatre, creating theatre, performing theatre, learning about theatre, discussing theatre, writing about theatre – and going to the theatre!
- Because you want to be involved in a subject that includes practical work physical, vocal, emotional & artistic in groups, leading to performances.
- Because you are also interested in studying play texts and practitioners, analysing them closely and writing essays about them.
- Because ou are interested in the roles of the director, designer and playwright, as well as the actor
As well as providing you with the basis for further academic study, studying Drama makes a great contribution to the development of your communication skills, self-motivation and confidence; skills that you will being using for the rest of your life!
AS Level Drama and Theatre
Unit 1: Exploration of Drama and Theatre
- You will study two contrasting plays in the light of different Theatre Practitioners like Brecht, Berkoff, Stanislavski, Brook and Artaud.
- You will gain a broad sense of different styles of theatre and a sense of the evolution of theatre through history.
- You explore different theatrical genres like naturalism, epic and contemporary theatre.
The sessions are practical and will allow you to not only develop your knowledge, but also your ability as a performer and a practitioner in your own right!
Unit 2: Text in Performance
You will then put what you have learned into practice in a performance module where you have the opportunity to work as part of a theatre company to produce a performance for an invited audience. You will work as an actor or a designer, and the play will be directed by your teacher. You are also required to performance a monologue (solo piece) or duologue (paired performance); this will show the examiner your strengths as an actor.
The AS year also gives you the opportunity to see some live professional theatre and put yourself in the shoes of a reviewer. You will write a live performance evaluation about the production we see, writing critically about the performance.
A2 Drama and Theatre Studies
Unit 3: Exploration of Dramatic Performance
In the A2 year, you will work in groups to devise your own piece of theatre. You will be given a stimulus that will inspire you piece of theatre, and you will perform this to an examiner. The work done in the AS year will inform you in how to approach your devised piece, using styles and influences from different practitioners.
Unit 4: Theatre Text in Context
The A2 year finishes with a written exam where you are required to prepare a director's vision of a given play. You will explore the play practically from the point of view of a director, which will give you the material to answer the exam about.
You will also see a production of a play that you are required to compare the Original Performance Conditions of.
For students with 5 A-C Grades at GCSE. Must include English for all subjects and Maths for Maths, Sciences, Economics and Psychology A-Levels
Please visit our website or call Admissions on 0800 3892 947
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact BSix Brooke House Sixth Form College directly.