Plumbing Study Programme at Leeds College of Building
What's it all about?
Plumbers install, service and repair water supply, sanitation and heating systems. They also install bathroom suites including showers, toilets and basins.
What skills and qualities do I need?
- A basic understanding of maths, calculations and physics
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to your work
- Good communication skilsl
How much could I earn?
Starting salaries for newly qualified plumbers can be between £18,000 and £22,000 a year. Experienced plumbers can earn between £22,000 and £35,000 a year.
What would I learn at College?
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation
- How to cut and join plastic pipe ready for installation
- How to prepare the workplace/site ready for work to be carried out
- The health and safety legislation relating to the installation and maintenance of electrical and plumbing systems
- The science behind plumbing e.g. heat transfers, power, forces and pressure
- How to install bathrooms, heating systems, and waste sanitation systems (level 2 only)
- How to cut, bend and solder copper pipe ready for installation (level 2 only)
No matter what level you are currently working at, you will be expected to further your skills in English and maths.
All applicants will be required to sit a BKSB assessment and attend an interview.
You could progress from a level 2 to a level 3 qualification. There is also the opportunity to progress into higher education at the College.
Please note this course is training only and to achieve the full trade NVQ qualification and become fully qualified, you must have on site experience and assessments.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.