Psychology at The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre
Psychology can be studied to A Level and is a popular subject within a successful department. Psychology has the status of a science A level. The department follows the AQA specification and the course aims to give a broad introduction to the key psychological approaches, research methods and real world applications.
The first unit comprises
- Social Influence, Memory and Attachment, which will introduce you to the exciting areas of conformity, obedience, eye witness testimony, and deprivation.
The second unit comprises
- Approaches in Psychology, Psychopathology and Research Methods which will introduce you to the learning, cognitive and biological approach to investigating human behaviour, definitions of abnormality and an understanding of phobias, depression and OCD including their treatment.
In the second year you will add the psychodynamic and humanist approach to human behaviour.
- You will examine Bio-Psychology to include the nervous system and Biological rhythms. We will investigate the debates such as ethics, gender, culture and if our behaviour is determined by nature or nurture.
- In the applications of Psychology section, you will gain insight into the Psychology of Relationships including virtual relationships, Schizophrenia or Eating Behaviour, and Forensic Psychology to include offender profiling.
Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to apply your new skills and understanding by carrying out some practical investigations and learn how to apply Psychological theory to explain the impact of research on society today.
- At least six A*- C grades at GCSE, including a Grade B in Mathematics or Science. Confidence in English, Maths and Science would be an advantage.
- You do not need GCSE Psychology to take this subject.
Psychology is a popular subject at university. This is a valuable subject for those wishing to pursue a Psychology career, but it is also useful in a range of other careers such as Business management, Human resources, Public relations, Law, Policing, Journalism, Politics, Social work, Teaching, Media and Advertising.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre directly.