IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Could you benefit from a broad and balanced education? Are you looking for a valuable and international alternative to A Levels at school? The IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) develops inquiring, knowledgeable and passionate young adults, whilst also offering a prestigious qualification.
As part of the Diploma Programme, you will study six subjects, three at Higher Level and three at Standard Level. These will include English, a second language, mathematics and a science.
You will also study three core elements: The extended essay, Theory of knowledge (TOK), and Creativity, Action, Service (CAS).
More detailed information is to be found in the ‘Additional Campus/Course Information’ section.
You will gain an in-depth knowledge of each subject, and you will appreciate the interconnections between disciplines. Your studies will have an international scope, encouraging you to appreciate other cultures and benefit from global perspectives.
Depending on the score achieved, the IB Diploma can be the equivalent of six A-levels at 'A' grade. There is a maximum of 7 points for each of the 6 subjects, and 3 additional points awarded for the Core elements. Students must achieve a minimum of 24 points, with the maximum possible total being 45 points.
As well as developing academically, you will be encouraged to learn from experience by participating in communities and activities. The programme encourages students to be active, motivated individuals with a flexible and powerful approach to knowledge. For this reason, the IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) is valued by employers and top universities in the UK and beyond.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Classroom learning
- Practical work
- Making connections between your subjects
- Virtual learning environment (MOODLE)
- Educational visits
- Extra-curricular activities
- Students should normally have six GCSEs at grade B, including Maths, Science and English or Welsh
- You should also have a GCSE at grade B for subjects you wish to take at Higher Level
- These requirements can be flexible according to particular circumstances
- For overseas applicants: English fluency to IELTS 6.0 or higher
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed through a blend of the following:
- Coursework in each subject
- Extended essay
- Oral examination
- Continuous assessment
- External exams at the end of the two years
The IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) offers a variety of routes into Higher Education and employment. Having studied a broad range of subjects, you will be able to choose from a variety of degree courses, and will be positioned to make an informed decision about your future. The IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate) is valued highly by Higher Education institutions, including top UK and international universities. You could also proceed onto a number of higher education courses at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
If you choose to progress directly into employment, the IB will be a valuable addition to your employment profile. It is also ideal if you want to take a gap year, since it is recognised by employers abroad.Career opportunities
- Most students progress to a university level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree, in subjects ranging from Chinese Studies to Medicine and Psychology. Alternatively, you may go into employment and continue your studies with a work-based qualification
Depending on the campus, students may be able to access elements of the programme in both English and Welsh through some programme learning materials being made available bilingually. Details will be provided to you at interview.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.