A Level Psychology at Hasmonean High School
Through their science-based approach to the study of Psychology AS Level/A Level, students develop knowledge and understanding of concepts, theories, research studies, research methods and ethical issues in key areas of Psychology. Students develop skills of analysis, evaluation and interpretation in these areas as well.
Areas for study in AS are:
- Social Influence – Conformity, obedience and minority influence
- Memory – Models of memory, explanations of forgetting and eyewitness testimony
- Attachment - Explanations of attachment, types of attachment and influence of early attachment on relationships
- Approaches in Psychology - Assumptions of the learning approach, cognitive approach and biological approach, biopsychology
- Psychopathology - Definitions of abnormality, mental disorders and treatments
- Research Methods - Methods, scientific process, data handling and analysis
Areas for study in A Level are:
- AS-level content as above
- Issues and debates in Psychology - including gender and culture bias, free will and determinism and the nature-nurture debate
- Cognition and development - theories of cognitive development, theories of social cognition
- Schizophrenia - classification and diagnosis, explanations and treatments
- Addiction - risk factors, explanations and theories
- Research methods - inferential statistical testing
Grade B in English Language and English Literature and Grade B in Additional Science GCSE. An interest in and aptitude for science, an interest in research based approaches to the working of the brain and mind, and a proven ability to write structured essays are all important.
Two papers of 1 hr 30 mins, each of which provides 50% of AS Level including multiple choice, short answers and extended writing. Paper 1: Introductory Topics in Psychology Paper 2: Psychology in Context
Three papers of 2 hrs, each of which provides 33.3% of A Level including multiple choice, short answers and extended writing Paper 1: Introductory Topics in Psychology Paper 2: Psychology in Context Paper 3: Issues and Options in Psychology
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hasmonean High School directly.