Government and Politics A Level at Lampton Academy
In the first year you will be developing your understanding of political concepts by studying British politics – both the institutions of government, and the means by which people can participate in the political system. In the second year, the focus switches to American politics – where knowledge and understanding of political concepts is applied to the US political system.
Why you should consider this course:
If you ever ask any of these fundamental questions then politics is for you:
- Who holds power – you, the government, or corporations?
- What gives government the power to take away your rights and liberties?
- Are there any checks on the power of government? Are they strong enough?
- Do you have any rights? If you do, who defines these and how well protected are they?
- Are you represented in the political system?
- How can you access the political system to change the world around you?
We study and analyse the world as it unfolds around us – we seek to evaluate current political events to understand the way we are governed, and what people can do to influence the process. This is a live and current subject – students are expected to stay up to date with UK and US politics in order to build depth of understanding.
A*- C at English GCSE.
The study of politics is an excellent choice for students who seek to develop skills of communication, analysis and interpretation. These skills, and the knowledge base provided by studying the political system, makes Politics an especially strong choice for students who wish to pursue careers in Law, Journalism, Management, the Civil Service and Charity sector.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lampton Academy directly.