Plumbing Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship at Basingstoke College of Technology
Domestic Plumbing and Heating (Gas fired, water and central heating appliances), installing, maintaining, servicing and commissioning domestic plumbing and heating systems with gas fired, solar, water and central heating
appliances. This is what is included in the gas pathway and there is also an environmental pathway, where typically you would install thermal. Delivered at BCoT. Fundamental principles in environmental technologies.
Course Length: 24 months
Course Location Workplace plus 1 day a week at college
Course Fee: If applicable
Start Date: September 2015
This apprenticeship programme covers a range of practical and underpinning knowledge and includes the following four components:
1. Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Plumbing
- Knowledge units include:
- Understanding how to organise resources in building services
- Specific core installation and maintenance
- Understanding core gas safety principles
Competence units include:
- Understanding and carrying out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems
- Installing, commissioning, servicing and maintaining
- Tightness testing, purging, commissioning and de-commissioning gas pipework
- Maintaining gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
- Understanding and applying domestic sanitation systems
- Understanding hot an cold water systems
2. Functional Skills in Maths, English and ICT (Level 2)
3. Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
4. Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) - mapped into Diploma
Completion of Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship in Plumbing. GCSE grade A-C in each of the following: English, Maths and ICT. You must employed in the plumbing industry and sponsored by your employer. A pre-course interview is required.
The NVQ Diploma is achieved through the creation of a site diary including workshop evidence and supported by on-site assessments. Apprentices will also attend college 1 day per week to learn the knowledge required to do their job and develop their skills. In addition there are regular monitoring and support visits to the workplace by a training consultant.
If you are aged 16-18, tuition and registration fees are free.
If you are aged 19 or over, tuition and registration fees are payable at the start of each year of study; please ask for details.
If you are aged 24 or over, you may be eligible for a Student Loan to assist with your fees; please ask for details.
Registration onto a relevant industry certification scheme. Progression of your career with further training into such roles as technician, designer, estimator, project manager, site workshop supervisor/manager, chartered engineer, sales engineer or commercial manager. Further career guidance can be found at: www.summitskills.org.uk/careers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Basingstoke College of Technology directly.