Horticulture Apprenticeship Intermediate Level at Guildford College
This course covers the basic principles of general horticulture including the development and maintenance of amenity areas, plant knowledge and the safe use of machinery.
Practical instruction is carried out by highly qualified tutors in the extensive ornamental grounds, plant nursery, woodlands and sports turf areas at the College, using both hand tools and modern machinery and equipment.
Merrist Wood has developed a considerable reputation for horticulture and for it’s award-winning gardens designed and built at RHS Flower Shows.
The diverse range of plants in the College’s 280 hectare estate, together with purpose-designed buildings, including lecture rooms, laboratories, library facilities and computer suites, all provide an ideal environment for horticulture students
The framework for the Apprenticeship includes:
- 1 day first aid course
- Technical certificate in PA1 and PA6
- Employee rights and responsibilities
- Functional Skills in Level 1 literacy and numeracy
Compulsory units include
- Monitoring and maintaining health and safety
- Maintain and develop personal performance
- Maintain and develop effective working relationships with others
- Preparing ground for seeding and or planting
- Establish plants and/or seeds in soil.
Additional units include:
- Establish decorative amenity areas
- Maintain the appearance of decorative amenity areas
- Use and maintain non-powered and hand held powered tools and equipment
- Use and maintain pedestrian controlled power equipment
- Use and maintain ride-on powered equipment
- Plant nomenclature, terminology and identification
You must be in relevant employment. Good GCSEs are an advantage.
Portfolio of written evidence and practical assessments in the workplace.
You could move onto an Advanced Apprenticeship or other higher level related courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Guildford College directly.