Physics AS & A Level at NewVIc
Physics is about the physical world at every level, from the smallest particle to galaxies remote in space and time. You will study a wide range of topics, including forces and motion, electrons, photons and waves. You will consider how Physics plays a part within medicine, industry and cosmology.
The course will focus on:
- fundamental data analysis
- imaging, sensing, mechanics
- waves and quantum behaviour
- Field and Particle Physics
On the course you will:
- carry out practical lab work, including planning your own investigations
- visit universities, museums and observatories
- use IT to support and enhance your work
- apply mathematical formulae to a variety of problems in Physical Science
You will need to have averaged grade B across the majority of your GCSEs, including BB for Double Science or BBB minimum in Triple Science and at least a grade 6 for Mathematics. Physics is a challenging A-level and if you hope to study it, you will need to demonstrate strong academic ability. If you are studying GCSE Applied Science or Level 2 BTEC Science, you will not be able to take Science A-levels but could study level 3 BTEC in Medical Science (Applied Science) or level 3 BTEC in Forensic Science (Applied Science).
We study OCR Physics A. Units are internally assessed practicals and written exams.
Studying Physics will provide you with a useful foundation for a variety of degree courses including Electronics, Engineering, Architecture, Medicine and Physical Sciences. The skills and knowledge you will learn are also transferable to many other fields, such as Finance and Business.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact NewVIc directly.