Theatrical, Special Effects & Media Make-up Artistry Advanced Diploma Level 3 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
This is a one-year course designed to give you a nationally recognised qualification in make-up – providing the knowledge, skills and understanding required to gain employment within the industry.
This course combines practical work with related theory in preparation for fashion, theatrical and TV make-up. You will develop skills including special effects and prosthetic making. This course will also develop your communication and personal skills, which are essential for this line of work.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
This course develops practical skills in:
- Camouflage Make-up
- Airbrush Make-up to the Face
- Fashion & Photographic Make-up
- Wig Work
- Creative Hair-Design
- Media Make-up
- Application of Prosthetic Pieces
- Health & Safety in the Salon
- Client Care & Communication
- 30 Hour Work Placement
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject (50% of your programme)
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
You will need to have successfully achieved one of the following:
- Hair & Media Make-up Level 2
- Beauty Therapy Level 2
- Hairdressing Level 2
Good dexterity skills are crucial, and these will be assessed with a skills test. We will also invite you for an informal interview and ask you to provide a suitable reference.
You will be assessed via a broad range of methods:
- Oral questions
- Online tests or assignments
- Practical work
We will also ask you to organise and build a portfolio of practical work to provide evidence of what you have learned.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could progress on to a higher education course at college or university or continue your study with an Apprenticeship.
Following further study you could work as:
- A Beauty Therapist, earning between £12,000 and £18,000 a year depending on experience with an average of £16,000.
- A Salon Manager, earning around £18,000 and £21,000 a year.
- A TV or Theatre Make-up Artist, with earning potential of £21 per hour.
- Teaching is delivered in industry-standard commercial salons
- Study Programmes and Apprenticeships range from Pre-Entry to Level 5, including an Access to Higher Education pathway
- Opportunity to practise treatments on paying members of the public
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General FE and Tertiary College for 16-18 achievement rates in Greater Manchester.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
Ofsted also agrees; in February we were inspected and graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Receive training from industry professionals, such as Ellisons, Studex, St. Tropez and Dermalogica
- The annual Beauty Showcase, where you can display your creative and technical skills
- Opportunity to raise money for charity through offering treatments to the public
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their recent visit in February 2017, Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Thursday 12th October 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 22nd November 2017, 4.30pm - 8pm
Wednesday 7th February 2018, 4.30pm - 8pm
Thursday 28th September 2017, 3.30pm – 7pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.