Biology AS/A2 Level at St Philip Howard Catholic High School
Students who take Biology often also study from a wide range of subjects, including Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Psychology, PE, English, Geography and History.
•Students will sit a new-style qualification from September 2015. The course is now linear which means students will sit all exams at the end of the 2 year course.
•The ISA(practical examination) has now been replaced by 12 compulsory practical activities which will be carried out throughout the course in lessons and knowledge and understanding tested in the final exams. There will also be a greater emphasis on mathematic skills with 10% marks testing the skills.
Core content includes:
• Biological molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression
2 x B grades in any of the sciences recommended.
• Paper 1, topics 1-4, 2 hour exam, 91 marks, 35% of A Level • Paper 2, topics 5-8, 2 hour exam, 91 marks, 35% of A Level • Paper 3, Any content from topics 1-8, 2 hour exam, 78 marks, 30% of A Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Philip Howard Catholic High School directly.