Painting and Decorating Diploma Level 1 at Doncaster College
You will have an opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way.
You will follow a programme of study that enables progression to further courses and employment within the construction industry.
You will gain confidence by developing independent learning skills.
You will learn how craft activities are carried out safely and how they contribute to the construction process.
The largest proportion of workers within the industry are engaged in craft occupations. All of these require self-motivation, skills in numeracy, communications and problem solving, as well as a broad range of technical skills. Therefore whilst at college you will be expected to undertake one key skill per year which will help in the preparation into employment.
The Qualification Structure:
- General Core units
- Occupational Specific Units
Core units are common to all trades and cover topics such as Health and Safety/ Communications and Construction Technology. Various units include:
- Basic Paint Systems Using a Brush and Roller
- Foundation and Plain Wallpapers
- Standard Decorative Finishes
- Access Equipment and Working
- Water Borne Paint Systems
- Health, Safety and Welfare in Construction and Associated Industries Knowledge of Technical Information, Quantities and Communication with Others
- Knowledge of Construction Technology.
This course also includes tutorials, Functional Skills which includes English and Maths and Personal and Professional Development
- 2 GCSE grade G or above in Maths and English.
- OCN Preparation for Employment in the Construction Industries Entry 3
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an interview.
- Successful applicants will then complete an introductory course (Preparation for employment) prior to the main program which gives both the candidate and the lecturer the opportunity to assess suitability to progress.
- It is also important that you have an interest in this dynamic industry, that you have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in the sector, a willingness to explore new ideas and the ability to communicate your ideas.
Students are assessed using practical assignments and online testing of knowledge.
Successful candidates can progress onto the Painting and Decorating Level 2 Diploma in the following academic year or alternatively transfer onto a modern apprenticeship program if an employer is found.
Successful candidates will be in a position to seek employment with suitable construction companies who are willing to offer an apprenticeship which will give the learner the chance to further their skills in the pursuit of becoming a qualified tradesman.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Doncaster College directly.