Food Science and Nutrition WJEC Diploma Level 3 at The de Ferrers Academy
An understanding of food science and nutrition is relevant to many industries and job roles.
Care providers and nutritionists in hospitals use this knowledge, as do sports coaches and fitness instructors. Hotels and restaurants, food manufacturers and government agencies also use this understanding to develop menus, food products and policies that support healthy eating initiatives.
Many employment opportunities within the field of food science and nutrition are available. This is an Applied General qualification. This means it is designed primarily to support learners progressing to university or employment.
The Diploma course has two mandatory units which are both assessed internally and externally.
There is an additional optional module which is chosen and assessed by the Academy staff.
- The first mandatory unit will enable you to demonstrate an understanding of the science of food safety, nutrition and nutritional needs in a wide range of contexts, and through on–going practical sessions, to gain practical skills to produce quality food items to meet the needs of individuals.
- The second mandatory unit will allow you to develop an understanding of the science of food safety and hygiene; essential knowledge for anyone involved in food production in the home, or wishing to work in the food industry or other associated career paths. Again practical sessions will support the gaining of theoretical knowledge. Studying one of the two optional units will allow you the opportunity to study subjects of particular interest or relevance to you, building on previous learning and experiences. Performance bands are provided for Level 3 Pass, Level 3 Merit and Level 3 Distinction.
We acknowledge that some students may wish to take a vocational course in Design & Technology, despite not taking a relevant Design & Technology GCSE due to their personal Pathway programme. We will consider all applications that show an interest in furthering their career in Design and Technology.
3 A* - C Plus Grade 4 in English and Maths
Details of the external assessment are as follows:
- 90 minute examination; plus 15 minutes reading time
- Three sections on each paper •
- Section A is short answer questions
- Section B is extended answer questions
- Section C relates to a case study
Areas of course content. You will:
- Understand the importance of food safety
- Understand the properties of nutrients
- Understand the relationship between nutrients and the human body
- Be able to plan nutritional requirements
- Be able to plan production of complex dishes
- Be able to cook complex dishes
- Sports and fitness Coach
- Working within the food production industry
- Health Work
- Hospitality and Catering
- Environmental Health Officer
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The de Ferrers Academy directly.