Art and Design (Graphic Design) Level Three BTEC Extended Diploma at East Riding College
This is a practical, multi-disciplinary programme which is project-based throughout.The projects will have a vocational element (ie introduction to the world of work) and the programme will include a live brief or a competitive element as appropriate (eg live commission/submission to a competition).
The programme offers a broad experience aimed at developing specialist skills for the graphics industry (techniques/ideas development/visual language) along with critical analysis and appreciation of historical and contemporary issues.
The first year involves the introduction and exploration of a wide range of subject areas which encourage the development of individual approaches and personal preferences.
In the second year learners will be encouraged to become more involved with the design of project briefs leading to more independent study choices and highly individual bodies of work in order to make appropriate choices for progression.
- Visual recording (drawing/photography)
- Materials, techniques and processes
- Ideas and concepts
- Communication through art and design
- Image manipulation using computer applications
- Lens-based media
- Graphics media, techniques and technology
- Typographic and layout design
- Website design
- Illustration and narrative Image
- Mixed media
- Package design
- History and contextual studies
- Personal and professional development
- Setting up a studio
- Four GCSEs at grade A* to C or above, including English, or equivalent qualifications
- A good standard of written and verbal communication is desirable
- Successful interview demonstrating commitment for the subject via presentation of a visual portfolio of design work/written work examples and an initial assessment
These courses are assessed through practical activities and written coursework depending on the subject matter. Course work and practical assessments are based on realistic workplace situations and live assignments where appropriate.
Successful completion of the programme will qualify you for employmentwithin the industry or entry on to e appropriate degree programmes at colleges and universities throughout the country. This includes our related level four BTEC higher nationaal certificates, the Level Five BTEC Higher National Diploma in Art and Design (fashion, graphic design and interactive media pathways are also available) the Foundation Degree (FdA) in Applied Digital Media and our BA (Hons) in Media, Design and Production.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Riding College directly.