Land-based Studies (Animal Care) Level 1 Diploma at Bicton College
This course is aimed at individuals with an interest in Animal Care who may require some support in achieving their career aims. Students will have the opportunity to develop knowledge and practical skills in Animal Care alongside the more general skills required to gain employment or to continue in training.
Time will be split between classroom activities and practical work in the Animal Care Centre. The programme has been designed to improve literacy skills, spoken communication, numeracy, IT, problem solving, personal development and team work skills.
You will be studying a range of subjects which may include:
- Animal accommodation
- Feeding and watering of animals
- Health and wellbeing of animals
- Industry experience / animal duties
- Movement and handling of animals
- Safe working practices
- Developing personal performance
You will also work towards nationally recognised functional skills qualifications in English, maths and ICT.
1. Springboard – for those with few or no formal qualifications but a strong Interest and willingness to learn. Your initial assessment must show that you are working towards English Language and maths at Entry Level 3.
2. Level 1 Pathway – for those with GCSE grade D in Maths and English Language who wish to improve their skills in order to move towards a Level 2 courses or apprenticeship.
Offers for both options will be made on the basis of the above and performance at interview.
Successful students may continue on to a Level 2 programme, such as the Level 2 Extended Certificate/Diploma in Animal Care or the Level 2 Diploma in Agriculture or Countryside. Alternatively, students may wish to work towards an apprenticeship or gain employment in a relevant industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bicton College directly.