Travel and Tourism BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Reigate College
This is an interesting and practical course that is directly related to the vibrant, exciting and rapidly expanding Travel and Tourism industry. Students will study a wide range of travel related topics, in a practical and work based environment.The course has been designed to help students acquire the necessary skills and qualifications for a career in the Travel and Tourism Industry. The course will incorporate an optional unit at Level 4 (usually the first year of university).
This is a two year course and the Diploma is equivalent to two full A Levels. It is ideally suited to anyone who is contemplating a career in the Travel and Tourism industry.
The course covers a wide range of Travel and Tourism topics including:
In Year 1:
- Investigating the Travel & Tourism Sector and the Cruise Industry
- The UK as a Destination
- Long-haul Travel Destinations
- The Business of Travel & Tourism
- Customer Service in Travel & Tourism
- Preparing for Employment in Travel & Tourism
- Investigating the Cruise Industry
- UK Visitor Attractions
In Year 2:
- Residential Study Visit in Travel & Tourism
- Entertainment for Holidaymakers
- Events, Conferences and Exhibitions
- Long-haul Destinations
- Working as a Holiday Representative
- European Destinations
- Specialist Tourism
- Researching Current Issues in Travel and Tourism (optional)
Students will need 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, English Language grade C preferred, or a Merit in Intermediate BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Travel and Tourism.
Students will enjoy this course if they:
- can complete coursework in many different forms
- enjoy new challenges
- enjoy practical work such as planning and running a residential trip
- can complete independent research
Students should be interested in the Travel and Tourism industry and enjoy meeting people.
The course is assessed through coursework and external assessment.
The exam board for the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Travel and Tourism isPearson BTEC.
Travel and Tourism students may decide to take up a place at university studying one of a number of degrees related to this subject. Popular degree courses include Event Management, Tourism Management or Hospitality Management.
Other students may opt to gain some valuable industry experience, for example in the Airline Industry, Resort Services, Tourism and Hospitality or Trainee Management posts.
A qualification in Travel and Tourism will provide students with essential knowledge of the industry and help prepare them for Higher Education or employment.
BTEC Diploma in Travel & Tourism students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In recent years, these have included:
- a residential trip to Venice as part of the Residential Study Visit Unit
- a trip to Thorpe Park to research customer service
- a visit to the London Eye and the Tower of London
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.