Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Entry Level 3 at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course will introduce you to professional cookery and food service covering the basic methods of cookery and service, providing you with a sound foundation to start your career in the industry.
This programme will enable you to study a wide range of skills, all of which will help you on your chosen career pathway, moving into employment or further training.
You will get the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised vocational qualification linked to your chosen career.
Also, this programme will help you to improve your maths, English and ICT, plus develop the personal and social skills which employers look for.
You will be given support and guidance throughout your learning journey and your progress will be reviewed with you regularly.
Candidates will undertake practical assignments to cover the following units:
- Introduction to the hospitality industry
- Customer service in the hospitality industry
- Introduction to healthy eating
- Basic food preparation and cooking
- Introduction to food commodities
- Using kitchen equipment
- Food safety in catering
- Food service
There may be several opportunities for work experience at events e.g. Open Golf Tournament, Chester Races, Grand National.
- Aged 16-18 years old.
- An interview with the tutor will be required; this includes dexterity testing, prior to acceptance.
- Communication Skills - Initial assessment to identify learning and support needs.
- Literacy - Entry Level 3 required.
- Numeracy - Entry Level 3 required.
- Subject - Enthusiasm and a positive attitude to working with food is required.
- Manual dexterity & physical stamina - Ability to handle tools of the trade and carry out cookery tasks.
- Appropriate uniform, shoes, text book and knives to meet College standards will be required prior to commencement of the course.
Before starting your course, you will take assessments in literacy and numeracy to make sure that you are working at the right level.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
Assessment is continuous in practicals and in class based underpinning knowledge sessions.
Equipment and material costs £180 approximately.
Progression to Level 2 and 3. Employment in the catering industry.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.