Drama and Theatre Studies AS/A-Level at Cranford Community College
A Level Drama and Theatre is a highly practical course with strong theoretical elements. You will study a range of plays using practitioners such as Stanislavski, Brecht, Berkoff, and Artaud and perform in extracts (directed by yourselves) and full plays (directed by your teacher) in Year 12. There is no written exam in Year 12.
Normally C in Drama (if studied) and a C in English.
60% Coursework (Practical and portfolio) & 40% Written Examination
Component 1: Content overview - Exploration and Performance Coursework
- A group performance/ design realisation of one key extract from a performance text
- A monologue or duologue performance / design realisation from one key extract from a different performance text
- The centre chooses the texts from a prescribed list
Internally assessed and externally moderated
There are three parts to the assessment:
- 1) a portfolio (48 marks)
- 2) the group performance/design realisation (32 marks)
- 3) a monologue or duologue performance/design realisation (16 marks)
Component 2: Content Overview – Theatre Makers in Practice Written examination
- Practical exploration and study of a complete performance text
- Choice of six performance texts
- Live theatre evaluation – choice of performance Assessment overview
Section A: Live Theatre Evaluation (16 marks)
- Students answer one extended response question from a choice of two requiring them to analyse and evaluate a live theatre performance they have seen.
- Students are allowed to bring in theatre evaluation notes of up to a maximum of 500 words.
Section B: Page to Stage: Realising a Performance Text (32 marks)
- Students answer two extended response questions on how they might interpret and realise an unseen extract in performance from their chosen text.
- Students answer from the perspective of a performer and a designer.
- Performance texts are not allowed in the examination as extracts will be provided.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cranford Community College directly.