History AS level at Nower Hill High School
Who is the course for?
For students with a real interest and enthusiasm for historical study and individual research.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught by a variety of methods aimed at reinforcing interest and developing knowledge, understanding, analytical and communication skills. You will also undertake your own research.
What will I Study?
Component 1E - Russia in the Age of Absolutism and Enlightenment, 1682-1796.
Key questions include;
- How far were the rulers of Russia able to establish and maintain authority?
- How and why did Russian society and the economy develop?
- How important were ideology and ideas?
- How far were objectives in foreign policy achieved?
- How significant was opposition and how effectively was it dealt with?
- How important was the role of key individuals and groups and how were they affected by developments?
Component 2S – The Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007.
This option provides for;
- The study of key political, economic, social and international changes which helped to shape Britain in the second half of the 20th century.
- An exploration of concepts such as government and opposition, class, social division and cultural change.
- Reflection on Britain’s changing place in the world as well as the interrelationship between political policies, economic developments and political survival.
You are required to have studied History at GCSE and you must have achieved Grade C or above.
- A stand-alone qualification assessed at the end of Year 12.
- 2 exams worth 50% each of the AS.
- Component 1 (Breadth study) and Component 2 (Depth study).
You will need to purchase;
- Lever-arch ring binders
- 5 part dividers to organise your notes
- Post-it notes
History is a highly respected academic subject and a very sound basis for a number of professional careers for example archeology, law, media, journalism and teaching.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nower Hill High School directly.