Extended Project Qualification at Heathcote School & Science College
The extended project qualification is an extra qualification offered to year 12s after they have completed their AS exams that provides an opportunity for you to extend your abilities beyond the A level syllabus and prepare for university or your future career. It can also be used to earn extra UCAS points and is worth 50% of an A level.
By taking responsibility for the choice and design of an individual project (or an individual role in a group project) you will:
- become more critical, reflective and independent learners
- develop and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills
- increase your planning, research, analysis, synthesis, evaluation and presentation skills
- learn to apply new technologies confidently
- demonstrate creativity, initiative and enterprise
- Project product, in the form of a research report, production or artefact
- Written report
- Presentation of the completed Project
- Completed Production Log
This course is offered on a voluntary basis, but demands a serious commitment and the ability to work independently, which is why it only begins at the end of year 12 and continues into year 13.
You will need 5 or more A* - C grades at GCSE including Maths and English, and your acceptance onto the course needs to be agreed by the tutors.
The Extended Project Qualification is equivalent to half of an A-Level. Using a six grade scale from A* to E, it is initially assessed by the lead supervisor and then is moderated by the AQA, which gives the final grade.
It develops and provides evidence of the skills universities are looking for:
- experience of in-depth study in specialised topics, eg medical research, politics or astronomy, closer to actual university courses;
- confidence to work independently and creatively
- practice in essay writing and independent research
- gives students the benefit of extra UCAS points
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Heathcote School & Science College directly.